Undocumented students approved for DACA and who possess an EAD should have most, if not all, summer jobs available to them. Employers cannot discriminate based on the term of the employment authorization. For more information, visit the Consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals Guide for Employers.
Those students not approved for DACA or who are still awaiting their EAD can nonetheless pursue fellowship programs such as the following:
- Program for Research in Science and Engineering: PRISE is a summer-time fellowship program that provides room and partial board, as well as a stipend, for students participating in research projects in Cambridge/Boston during the summer.
- Harvard College Research Program: HCRP provides funding for students engaged in research during the summer. More information about the HCRP can be found at the Student Employment Office website.
- Crimson Summer Academy: The CSA allows a small group of undergraduate students to mentor high school students participating in the academy. During the summer, the undergraduate mentors receive free room and board, as well as the opportunity to take a summer school class.
- Summer School Proctor: The Harvard Summer School Program as well as the Student Activities Office hires proctors to staff the houses and freshman dormitories during the summer. Proctors are offered free room and board, as well as the opportunity to take a 4-unit summer school class.
- The Center for Public Interest Careers: CPIC offers several summer internship programs, which place interns in non-profit and public interest organizations. Some of the programs include the CPIC Internship Program, the Harvard Clubs Summer Community Service Fellowship Program, and the CPIC-Heckscher Fund for Service Internship Program. Students can visit the Center for Public Interest Careers for more information.[AM5]
- Institute of Politics: The IOP has established several programs to support students who are pursuing political and public service internships during the summer. Some of the programs include the IOP Director’s Internship Program, the IOP Summer Stipends Program, and the IOP Sumer Thesis Research Awards. For more information please visit the Institute of Politics internships and career page.